It is hard to believe the end of the academic year is upon us and we are approaching the mid-point of 2022. UCLA continues to thrive, and much of that is because of the dedicated hard work from our team members within Administration.
I am so proud of your accomplishments and continued dedication and commitment to excellence. Some examples of the great work that is occurring across our organization can be found in this issue of News & Viewsand the recent achievements noted below:
- Emergency medical technicians with our emergency medical services team at UCPD took first place in the EMS Skills Classic competition at the National Collegiate Emergency Medical Services Foundation annual conference.
- The Central Ticket Office and its partner departments were named Newcomer of the Year by Paciolan for achieving game-changing results in the first year on the new event ticketing platform and leveraging best practices and strategic partnership integrations to sell tickets, raise money and drive engagement.
- UCLA was recognized by the National Recycling Coalition (NRC) with the Outstanding Higher Education Program Award for exceptional efforts in waste reduction, recycling and building professional development opportunities for students with an interest in recycling technologies.
- CIO Lucy Avetisyan won the 2022 CIO Award from the Tambellini Group, a leading independent technology research, analyst and advisory firm.
- UCLA made the 2021 Best Workplaces for Commuters List for supporting essential workers and telecommuting employees and UCLA Transportation was named to the “100 Best Fleets”list by the NAFA Fleet Management Association.
- For the fifth time, niche.com ranked UCLA #1 in Best Campus Food, which is voted by students. • Lake Arrowhead Lodge rose to the #5 hotel in California on TripAdvisor and named a “Top Pick for Historic Venues” by Unique Venues. Trip Advisor also ranks the Luskin Conference Center as the #5 hotel in Los Angeles.
- Facilities Management recently received second place in the city-wide Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) 2022 Sustainability Awards competition for excellence in energy management leadership. The award recognized UCLA for energy savings and including a nearly $1.4 million rebate for energy efficiency upgrades at the Broad Art Center and Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, reflecting more than 8.3 million kWh of energy savings annually.
- Events and Transportation received the 2022 IPMI Award of Merit in Marketing and Communications, Public Sector for the 2021 Sustainable Transportation Month campaign.
- Parking Operations Manager Mike Edwards received the 2022 IPMI Professional Excellence Award for Operations.
- Housing and Residential Life won the 2022 NASPA (National Association of Student Personnel Administrators) Sustainably Knowledge Community (SKC) Outstanding Campus Sustainability Program Award for the 11th Annual Sustainival on the Hill.
The list above is not a comprehensive one as all of our departments are recognized in some way for exceptional programs and services. I am grateful to all of the Administration team members who contribute to making our programs and services so successful and for how all of these efforts collectively contribute to UCLA’s national ranking as the #1 public university.
Thank you for all you do to support UCLA. I hope you enjoy the stories in this issue of News &Views.
Michael J. Beck
Administrative Vice Chancellor