UCLA Conferences & Catering recently welcomed the Teaching Kitchen Research Conference to the Luskin Conference Center and Hotel to connect, network and learn. A highlight of the two-day event was a series of cooking demonstrations recorded in the new teaching kitchen, located in UCLA’s Tipuana apartment building, with UCLA Senior Executive Chef Joey Martin and Executive Chef Jason Tingley. Among the recipes was this hearty, delicious and nutrient-rich Mediterranean classic. We invite you to join in the fun and impress your friends and family by trying creating it yourself at home.
Baked Eggplant Rollatini
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise (1/4-inch thick slices)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ½ cups tomato sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice and salt eggplant: First, remove the stems from the eggplant. Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Salt on both sides and let sit to "sweat" for 10 minutes. Pat dry with paper towel and wipe off remaining salt. Note: this process removes excess moisture from the eggplant and prevents a watery rollatini.
- Bake eggplant: Lay eggplant on a lightly greased pan and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove and let cool. Note: this softens the eggplant so you can easily roll it with the filling.
- Mix filling together: While eggplant is baking, add to a bowl: ricotta cheese, parmesan, egg, salt & pepper, minced garlic, and fresh basil. Mix together.
- Prepare rollatini: Then spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of your casserole or baking dish. After eggplant has cooled spoon 1-2 Tablespoons of ricotta filling on eggplant, then roll and lay in baking dish with sauce. Repeat until finished.
- Bake: Spoon 1 to 1 1/2 cups of marinara sauce over eggplant, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil or lid and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for 10 minutes.