Information for Students

The contents of these FAQs are subject to change and will be updated based on new University directives and public health advisories as well as other local, state, and federal advisories and orders.

List of Student Affairs Services Available

  • Is the Campus closed?
  • No.  Campus buildings will remain open for essential services.

    Many campus units, including University-owned housing, the Arthur Ashe Student Health Center, UCLA Recreation, Counseling and Psychological Services, and ASUCLA dining facilities will continue to provide services, though some services may be modified.

    For a complete list of available campus services, visit Campus Services During the Stay at Home Order.

  • Are campus libraries closed?

  • Yes, all UCLA Library locations are closed to the public until further notice.

    Please visit the UCLA Library website for additional information on library hours, remote services and other resources.

  • Are campus dining and restaurants closed?

  • Most ASUCLA restaurants and retail stores are closed. Visit ASUCLA for more information.

    Please refer to Housing's dining website for detailed information and current service hours on the Hill. 

  • Will the CPO Food Closet be open?

  • The Food Closet has temporarily transitioned to the CPO Online Food Closet. Visit the CPO Food Closet webpage for details.

  • Is the Ashe Student Health Center open?

  • Yes, the Ashe Center will be open.

    For hours of operation, please visit the Ashe website.

  • Are counseling services still available?

  • Yes, CAPS is offering remote counseling services during normal business hours. 

    Campus Assault Resources and Education (CARE) is still connecting with clients; however all appointments will be done remotely. You can request an appointment online or e-mail an advocate to make, cancel, or reschedule an appointment. We will respond to all requests during business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-5:30 pm.

    For support with managing your stress, please visit the Resilience in your Student Experience (RISE) center.

    Remember that 24-hour crisis counseling is available by calling (310) 825-0768.
  • What about classes?

  • UCLA has suspended in-person classes and has transitioned to remote teaching and learning through fall quarter 2020.

    If you are concerned about your ability to participate in remote classes or exams, please phone (310) 825-3894 or email the Dean of Students Office.

  • Are all meetings and events cancelled?

  • UCLA has suspended all nonessential events of any size through the end of fall quarter.

    UCLA strongly encourages every member of the campus community to take this seriously and avoid all in-person, group meetings as well as all other types of gathering.

    Why? Because public health officials tell us that reducing population density is the best way to limit the spread of COVID-19.

  • What should I do if I’m registered with the Center for Accessible Education (CAE)?

  • The CAE has communicated with registered students regarding ongoing accommodations.

    Please visit the CAE website for information regarding testing accommodations.

  • How do I know if I need to come to campus?

  • No students should be on campus unless:

    -You work on campus, have been identified as essential personnel, and your supervisor has instructed you to report to work on campus.

    -You live on campus.

  • Can I come to campus while the health orders are in effect?

  • Unless you live on campus, students should not come to campus at this time. 

    However, vising campus may be permitted if you are in need of loaner technology for remote learning or to visit Ashe Center. Please check with the appropriate campus departments before you come to campus.

  • What if I live on campus or in the local area?

  • For a variety of reasons, some students may remain on campus or stay in the local area.

    UCLA will continue to serve those students, but some services may be reduced or modified.

  • Is campus transportation still available?

  • Please visit UCLA Transportations website for updated information.

  • Are there any changes to tuition or tuition deadlines?

  • Please contact the Message Center with any questions.

  • Is the Student Accounts Office Open?

  • Message Center

    -Please contact the Message Center with any concerns
    -For third-party sponsorship questions, email Third Party Sponsors 

    Walk-Up Window/Phone Services

    These services have been temporarily closed; please use the Message Center

    Check Reissuance Requests

    -This has been redirected to the Message Center
    -A more-timely refund option is available through BruinDirect (instead of paper check)

    Student Name Only Check Pickup (Scholarship Checks)

    -For any scholarship checks received, Student Accounts will schedule an appointment for pickup through the Message Center 
    -Delays may occur due to limited mail delivery schedules

    Financial Aid Overaward Installment Account Processing

    -An online submission form with e-signature is available via the Message Center
    -Please note: the student must make an initial payment with BruinBill instead of a cash payment

    Ch. 33 VA Debt Letter Processing 

    -The Registrar will initiate this process, followed by Student Accounts.
    -Please contact the Message Center for more information.

  • Who do I contact if I have a questions about Payment Solutions & Compliance (PSC)?

  • Message Center

    Please contact the Message Center with any concerns.

    Walk-Up Window

    Currently closed.  Please contact the Message Center with any concerns.

    Payment Processing

    -Check Payments
        -Checks deposited in the mail-slot at 1125 Murphy Hall will be processed by PSC.
        -Reduced office hours may result in a delay in check processing and payment application.
        -We recommend making student payments online via BruinBill. This may result in a delay in check processing and payment application.

    -Cash Payments
        -Please contact the Message Center with questions about cash payments

    -Electronic Payments
        -Students and their authorized third-parties can pay the BruinBill electronically from their account.
        -There will be no interruption of service or processing delays for these payments.

  • Does this affect my Financial Aid?

  • Please check your financial aid website for the most up to date information as housing choices may affect your financial aid budget.

  • What if I experience a loss of wages?

  • If you are experiencing a financial hardship due to a loss of wages, please complete this Intake Form for Lost Wages for Student Employees and we will respond to you as quickly as possible.

  • What do I do if I am sick, need to self-quarantine or self-isolate?

  • If you have questions about how to self-quarantine, health monitoring, or need other support, please contact the Ashe Center at (310) 206-6217 or LiveHealth Online at (844) 784-8409 for more information and to schedule an appointment.

    If you have been directed to self-isolate or have been diagnosed with COVID-19 while away from campus, please call the Ashe Center Infection Control Line at 310-206-6217 so that we can be aware and coordinate care as needed.

    Visit CDC Watch for Symptoms COVID-19 webpage for additional information. The discontinuation of home isolation (of non-hospitalized patients) via non-test and test-based strategies are outlined on the CDC Website.

  • If I'm sick or experiencing symptoms but can't go to the doctor, what other ways can I get medical help?

  • If you are ill or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, telemedicine or video appointments are available through Anthem LiveHealth Online. 

    This service is available 24 hours a day on weekdays, all weekends and campus holidays. 

    Please visit LiveHealth Online or call (844) 784-8409 for more information and to schedule an appointment.

  • If I'm going to be out sick who should I notify?

  • Please notify the  Ashe Center or your primary care physician of your symptoms. 

    Please notify your professors/TAs if you are not able to participate in remote learning.  You may also want to consult with the course syllabus regarding the absence policy and how to report being out.

  • May the University quarantine or isolate students who were possibly exposed or who have contracted COVID-19?

  • Yes. The University enacted a Policy on Safeguards, Security and Emergency Management in January 2006 that contemplates the need for Chancellors to take extraordinary measures in the event of “a natural or man-made disaster, a civil disorder which poses a threat of serious injury to persons or damage to property,” or other “seriously disruptive events.” 

    Pursuant to this policy, the University may take appropriate steps to protect the health and safety of its students in the face of a known serious health crisis like an influenza pandemic.

  • What steps should be taken before the University initiates quarantine or isolates students who have possibly been exposed or who have contracted COVID-19?

  • UCLA will coordinate its actions with the LA County Department of Public Health to ensure the consistent implementation of Public Health orders, rules and regulations pertaining to the control of COVID-19.

  • Is LiveHealth Online covered by UCSHIP?

  • Yes, please visit LiveHealth Online website for more information.

  • If a student does not have UCSHIP, can they still use LiveHealth Online?

  • Yes, please visit LiveHealth Online website for more information.

  • Will my F1 or J1 visa be affected by classes going online?

  • No. The Department of State and Homeland Security have approved exceptions that will accommodate online course engagement for students attending institutions that have made COVID-19 adaptations.

    The Dashew Center will continue maintenance of valid immigration status for students who maintain full-time enrollment (undergraduate students: minimum of 12 units; graduate students: minimum of 8 units) despite the transition to online instruction.

  • Have Study Abroad for UCLA undergraduates been cancelled?

  • Yes, all remaining 2020 UCLA-run Study Abroad Programs both domestic and international for Undergraduates have been cancelled including Travel Study, UCLA Global Internships, and UCLA Summer Global Cities.

  • Are UC EAP programs affected?

  • UCEAP has suspended all programs in continental Europe effective March 16th. 

    Housing, the Registrar, Ashe Center, Financial Aid and academic units are available to help support impacted students.

  • Who can I call if I still have questions?

  • UCLA has established a support line for students. If you need guidance on any issue related to COVID-19 or how campus operations are affected call (310) 825-3894 (open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday - Friday).